Under the leadership of James Shelby (director and theatre teacher), Kristen Lo (technical director, theatre and stage tech teacher), and Jen Ellington (stage tech teacher), Gunn students stage three major productions each year and an evening of staged readings from Broadway Shows. Cast auditions and tech/crew roles are open to all Gunn students. Theatre classes at Gunn include a comprehensive, four-year sequence of theatre courses and a separate stage tech class. Visit our website, gunntheatre.org for more information on classes, auditions, tech/crew opportunities, show dates, tickets, field trips and a photo and video gallery!
Gunn Theatre Boosters are parents and community members who support the outstanding Gunn Theatre program. We encourage and celebrate the creative work of Jim, Kristen, Jen, and the students who bring us amazing theatre experiences throughout the school year.
The Gunn Theatre program is only minimally funded by PAUSD. The Boosters are crucial in funding:
- Classroom enrichment workshops, guest lecturers, and visiting theatre professionals
- Improvements to the theatre such as new lighting, sound, and essential stage equipment
- Student scholarships for the Annual Gunn/Paly Trip to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland
- Young Playwrights’ Project from TheatreWorks
- Senior theatre student awards
- Potlucks to feed cast and crew during final tech rehearsals
- Gala receptions to celebrate opening nights
- Professional development opportunities for theatre staff